I received a job offer on Friday. There's one other place that I've interviewed several times with. I've asked them to make an offer or I'll move on to the other job. So, by midweek, I will have a job.
I'm very relieved that the Chickpea will not be born into poverty. Massachusetts birth certificates have a spot for "Father's Occupation". I'm pleased to have something to put down there.
It looks like we'll have to have two cars to pull this off. Jen will likely get a new car, and I will get a cheap new car or well loved used car. With the job starting at the end of the month, we'll have to buy a car this week or next.
We've been trying to be very frugal lately, with the economical uncertainty of late. But now the gloves are off. We bought Jen a new pair of Pumas for the spring. The Puma store was packed, but there was no line at Neiman Marcus (Needless Markups), and the price was the same. The weird thing there is that they don't accept Visa or MasterCard. Only American Express, or cash. Or maybe kruggerands or gold ingots or something.
2.13.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OK, so...explain this one for me, cause I'm not following the logic. You guys live in Boston, a city with some of the best public transit in the world. I get that you need a car to get to the job, but why two cars? Where are you going to park two cars?! (And even if two cars, why a new one? I thought you guys were saving for a house...?) I mean, it's your money and all, I'm just wondering.
--Kacia
Yes, we live in Boston. But I won't work in Boston. Hence the need for car #1. As for car #2, it's really there for the Chickpea, for Jen to take the pea to doctor's appointments and such, as the T is decidely baby unfriendly.
As for the new vs. old car thing, the new Scions are nearly the same cost as a used anything else. And there's always the question of reliabilty. The cars will be parked on the street like anybody else. There's no way I'm gonna pay more for monthly parking than for the car.
Yeah, I guess it's different with a baby. Not that you don't see babies on the T, but I can see how the Green line would be a pain in the patootie with a stroller and such. (I expect the Blue and Red lines wouldn't be so bad, but Green...stairs to get onto the train...yeah.)
How much is a Scion, anyway? Willy and I were remembering last night that Ford's got some cheesy car that goes for about $10K new, so I guess it is possible to get a new car for not too much, as cars go. Just not the expensive hybrid kind that I've been drooling over. ;)
--Kacia
Screw the Scion, get a Cadillac Eldorado.
As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado.
Post a Comment