2.09.2005

World Cup Qualifiers

OK, so maybe Nervda is still a sports blog today. I happened to get home in time to turn on the North/Central America World Cup Soccer qualifying match between the US and Trinidad and Tobago. I never understood why they'd play such an important match at 2PM on a Wednesday afternoon. Apparently, quite a few people in Trinidad got the day off from work to go to the game. It's ninety degrees out there, but the Americans look ready. I turned on the channel just in time to see Kasey Keller make a great save on a breakaway, and almost immediately, Eddie Lewis scored on a long shot from outside the 18 yd box to make it 2-0.

Queen's Park in Port of Spain, Trinidad is a beautiful stadium. There's a huge oak tree next to the covered grandstand. It's not antiseptic, like the stadiums here. You can see nature in the park. The only comparision in the U.S. is the old Orange Bowl in Miami, with it's majestic palm trees.

I never understood why soccer isn't bigger in this country, especially after the success of the women's team and the men's team's performance in the 2002 cup. Is it that the average Joe isn't fit enough to relate? After all, tons of couch potatoes love NASCAR because they have a driver's license, fat guys think they could be offensive linemen if they bulked up. I have no idea.

No comments: