8.10.2004

The Patron Saint of Nervda

I missed the 100th anniversary of the birth of Pablo Neruda last month. Pablo is one of my primary inspirations as a writer. I can remember reading his work in a Spanish III class when I was 17 and being amazed by the power of his words even as I was reading them in a language I had no real mastery of.

This blog is sort of named after him. Years ago, back in the stone ages of the Internet, I went to sign up for an account on the University of Florida's VAX system. I couldn't get my first initial and last name as my user name, so I submitted "neruda" instead. But this being the stone ages, I had to submit my request on a slip of paper and my crappy handwriting was interpreted as "nervda" and I have been Nervda ever since.

No comments: