I've only been driving a car in Boston again for about 6 weeks. I don't have an loyalty or disloyalty to a particular gas station. Until yesterday. Mere moments after reading this post by my friend Andy, I had made a decision.
There are two stations within a mile of the office. One is an inconvenient left turn across traffic and self serve, and the other is a simple right turn and full service. So, I decide to try the full service. I'm feeling lazy. I pull up in my very boxy Scion xB and tell the older man working the pumps to fill it up with 87. He starts the pump and comes back to my open window and says, "You know what they call this car? A Puerto Rican Hummer." I'm not sure what reaction he expects me to give him, but I obviously don't provide him with it. It was probably a raised eyebrow.
He starts to back track. "That's what they call it on that radio station, Jammin' 97." Does he think that hearing it on an urban radio station gives him justification? I consider driving off, but there is currently fuel being pumped into the car. I hand him my credit card and fiddle with the radio. He hands me my card "I don't mean to be disparaging or nothin', that's what they call it. On the Jammin' 97. I'm just saying."
At least this guy could tell he'd started in with the wrong guy. But back to Andy's point, what do these guys think when they say stuff like this. I don't LOOK like a guy who enjoys racist comments, do I?
4.05.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Maybe you look like a guy who needs some ribbing about his funny-looking car. You should hear what your brother calls it. ;)
--Kacia
Post a Comment