4.13.2005

Boston is a real sports town

Tomorrow begins a great run of live sports viewing. We're headed to the bleachers of Fenway Park to see the Red Sox play the Yankees. I've seen these two teams play before, but in New York, as a Red Sox fan. We were doing terribly that season, so the animosity wasn't too bad. The Yanks fans were just indifferent toward us, like the popular girls in high school. This time the Sox are wearing the crown and at home. It should be something to write home about.

Then Monday is the Boston Marathon. It's an actual holiday in Massachusetts. It's Patriots Day to commemorate the beginning of the American Revolution. I haven't worked for Massachusetts based companies, so I have to take the day off. I have no other choice. It's like the Super Bowl of marathons and it's in front of our house. Watching the leaders is unbelievable. You watch them at the finish, and realize that they run faster at any point during the 26 miles that you can run at all. We stay out there and cheer on the regular people who run with their names written across their shirts and shout their names. I know that if I were out there running, they'd be cheering for me.

No comments: