Music is a lot of things: it's a soother, a stimulant, or sometimes a time machine. I first heard Virgil Shaw before the turn of the century. (That makes me sound like a crusty old man, doesn't it?) It was 1999 and I went to visit my friend Will in Austin during SXSW. I actually bought an advanced copy of Quad Cities from Virgil himself. He played this song that night: "Gypsum". It's so spare and blue collar. Basically, the opposite of me.
Devin Davis has a new album coming out called "Lonely People of the World Unite". How did this title escape Morrissey all these years? I love this line in this song: "We can talk on and on for hours about how the wind goes 'doo doo doo doo doo". Enjoy the non-sequitirly titled "The Turtle and the Flightless Bird".
"Cars Can't Escape" is an outtake from the legendary Wilco album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm always amazed by the songs that DON'T make albums.
I didn't know that Polly Jean Harvey had a favorite Fall song. But she she'll tell you all about it. "Janet, Johnny and James" It is sort of refreshing to hear a Fall cover because it means someone might actually understand a lyric on occasion.
Moonmaan is Rick McCollum's new Minneapolis based band. Who the hell is Rick McCollum, you axe? He was Keith Richards to Greg Dulli's Mick Jagger in the late great Afghan Whigs. "Light of the Moon" is a rough mix from their upcoming debut. If this is the rough draft, I can't wait to hear the finished product.
Enjoy the music. Let me know what you think? Fifth caller wins movie passes.
3.12.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
...Lonely People of the World Unite. How did this title escape Morrissey all these years?
I think you've got Morrissey's number all wrong. I never got the impression that he was interested in uniting with anyone...he was more into solitary lonliness. More melodramatic that way.
Post a Comment