3.20.2005

Sproing

It's finally bearable outside today, and Jen and I decided to get back into our running routine. We haven't been running for a long while due to a combination of factors: the brutal winter, the joblessness situation and the first trimester uncomfortableness. But all of those factors have fallen away now.

I decided to run a 5.6 mile route, while Jen took a shorter 5.2 loop. The first two miles were brutal for me. My body was still trying to remember how to run. Finally, the endorphins kicked in and I finished up strong. I didn't realize how much I miss running.

I'm going to enter the James Joyce Ramble 10K again this year. That race is at the end of April, so I've got to get down to business and really start training. It's one of my favorite races despite the giant hill in the middle of mile 3. One of it's distinguishing features is at each mile marker, there is someone dressed in period costume reading from Joyce. What's even more bizarre are there are bandit readers, standing on random street corners reading from their favorite Joyce. One year, there was a guy reading aloud from the Italian translation. I thought I was running too hard and had somehow come down with aphasia.

No comments: