This week's show is the first one that I actually put together on a playlist and blasted in the car. That's the true test of music: how does it sound when going 55?
I doubt that many of you spend a lot of cycles walking idly through the supermarket aisle asking yourself, "What happened to Fiona Apple? Shouldn't she have a new record out yet? Hey, is mac and cheese on sale 3 for $1?" For those of you who do, she recorded a record a few years ago and Sony shelved it because they "didn't hear a hit" And yes, mac and cheese is on sale, but it's not Kraft. It's Craft Markoroni and Cheez. You should probably avoid that. Here's a song from those lost Fiona sessions called "Get Him Back".
Robyn Hitchcock should be a much bigger star than he is. This is the reunited Soft Boys live in the studio with "If You Know Time". Granted, it's not live right now. And it's not my studio.
I remember when I was little, I thought that the music on the radio was all live. That the musicians were down at the station in the same room as the DJ. We went to the easy listening station for a class trip and I was sorely disappointed to see all the tape machines and blinking lights. This station didn't even have DJs. It was all automated systems from the home office.
So imagine if you will, Depeche Mode hanging out with Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart. Martin Gore offers Annie a Kool Light, and she says, "No thanks, I've got to sing in a minute." Right. This is a mash up of "Policy of Truth" and "Sweet Dreams".
Liz Durett "Ablaze". I have no idea what to say about this track other than this sounds like the 15 minutes immediately after a summer thunderstorm.
Pavement is one of my favorite bands of all time. This is a louder, fuzzier, more reckless version of my favorite Pavement impression of the Velvet Underground. This is the Peel Session version of "Here".
If you can find the link, I'll play requests. Download away. Burn the tracks to a CD or your iPod. Let's spend our last quarterstance randomly...
3.04.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment