3.19.2005

Radio Nervda #5

Spring looks like it may finally make an appearance. It's been in the forties and much of the snow has melted away. I hope winter's taking his final bow for the year.

Ryan Adams is the closest thing we have to the 80's Replacements. If you go to one of his shows you don't know if he'll be to drunk to play, or brilliant. He doesn't sound too drunk here: "My Sweet Carolina" (live in Denver).

If we're going to play that music criticism game where everybody is somebody from the past, Ted Leo and Pharmacists is definately Elvis Costello and the Attractions. Ted and the Pharmacists make catchy propulusive rock just like E.C. back in their glory days, before Elvis thought he could write sontatas and standards as well as rock tunes. Ted, stay away from the "culture" and you'll be fine. This is "Tell Balgeary Bulgury is Dead"

The Kaiser Chiefs music have a pretty extensive old record collection. Listening to this song, I can hear that they've got a lot of Clash in old milk crates. There's something else that I can't quite pick out. Maybe you can clear this up for me. This is "I Predict a Riot"

Instead of listening to new music and making up some sort of nostaligia for the 80's, I've cut out the middleman completely. This is a recording of XTC live in 1982. "Burning in Optimism's Flames"

Here's OOIOO from Japan the what could be the world's heaviest sounding piece of surf rock, called "Right Hand" If you're a fan of the Flaming Lips you will recognize the woman's screaming vocal. That is THE Yashmi of the Boredoms singing on this. I think it's sung in English, but as always, I could be wrong.

That's what you learn in life, that at any given point, you could be wrong. Most of the time, it doesn't really matter.

No comments: