The New Yorker Online has two pieces on Monty Python this week. They're making a Broadway musical based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, called "Spamalot"
Hank Azaria, who's in "Spamalot," put it well. He went to a prep school in New York somewhere. He said something to the effect that Monty Python sort of made it O.K. to be smart. They rewarded you, I guess, for having studied in history class. To be able to take that kind of material and completely make it ridiculous was something that nobody else did, or does, really.
That was definately me and my friends. We were in Math Club for God's sake. Our sponsor really sort of wished we were a cool club like the Exchangettes or something, so she had us build a float for the Homecoming Parade every year. We were playing the Orlando Evans Trojans. Dave Latz, John Sage and I somehow talked the others into building a Python inspired 8 foot tall Trojan Rabbit for our float.
It was completely bizarre. We built the rabbit out of stolen forklift palettes and cable spools. Actually, the palettes were borrowed. We returned them to the place we stole them from (a bit worse for wear, I'm sure). I really wish we had a picture of the thing. It was splendily absurd, and I've never talked about it before. Ah, the shame of being a geek. All hail Python!
3 comments:
If that was the tenth grade float, I have pictures. Or was tenth grade the "Kill the wabbit, KILL the WABbit" float? Or were they one in the same? Ah, the nerdy years. I remember them so well. You and your friends sure were nerds, weren't you?
That's the same float alright. Was that really 10th grade? That was in the 80's? Man, I feel old. Like an old nerd.
I think that is the first line of a Willie Nelson song. I'll get the pictures when I'm home for Christmas.
Post a Comment