12.08.2004

Happy Holidays, lardbuckets

This year, the large unnamed software company that I work for gave us all very lovely winter jackets by Marmot. They have the company name embroidered on the front and they cost a pretty penny. The cheapest price I found for this thing on the web is $249. Usually, I don't wear company freebies, as they're usually crappy t-shirts or what not, but these bad boys are nice.

Here's the thing, a good number of people went home empty handed. We had plenty of jackets, but not the right sizes. We'd run out of XXL. We're a rapidly growing country if you know what I mean, and we're not really doing anything about it. We pay it lip service, talk about going on Atkins or Weight Watchers, but the ones who follow through are few and far between. It's especially evident in this industry where we work long hours sitting on our butts in front of a computer screen.

All the new hobbies are sedentary ones. Gaming? Yup. Tivo? Yup. Knitting? Yup. I remember being a kid and watching wrestling with my grandmother and thinking that these men were giants at 200 lbs. Now, that's a reasonably normal sized guy. Scary. How much will the next generation weigh?

Keep this all in mind when it's time to make resolutions, ok?

No comments: