4.20.2007

Clearing out my brain on Thursday's Jeopardy

Dvorak? C'mon. You know who I meant! I got a text from my brother that said, "Nice job, doorvac." I smell a new fantasy team name for next year. This was my nightmare category sprung to life. I was happy to get something and try to jump out of the category all together. Alas, not to be.

Thank God I recognized Jimmy Carter in the picture from Reagan's inauguration. That's the only clue that's it's 1981 and not 1985.

I was telling Alex my panic in sticking in "A. Johnson" They gave Andrea credit for "Johnson" despite there being two President Johnsons. Alex told us this was because there was only one Johnson in the 19th Century. So now you know what we talk about over the credits.

In the last shot of the show, you can see my head on the GIANT VIDEO WALL. Disconcerting to say the least.

Why 1916? It's the only date I know in Irish history. I remember W.B. Yeats's poem Easter 1916. Damn you William Butler Yeats! Last item on the board and I could have ridden it to first place. Not that I knew that at the time. Apparently, I didn't know much of anything at the time.

A category about the wives of the M.F. Yankees? No need to fear. Know thy enemy. It pays off.

There were clues that made me think about specific people that I know. Jane Addams was for Ms. Wren Violet who once worked at Hull House. Luzon is for my mother and her family who are from the Philippines. The entire fortune cookie category is for my Uncle John and Auntie Rubi who used to own a fortune cookie factory. I think my wife, Jen, was the only person in the whole studio that knew that quote from Black Beauty.

2 comments:

Blondie said...

My Czech heritage was SCREAMING Dvorak in my head (correct pronunciation) in the studio audience. Nobody heard me.

As for me and Black Beauty? Well, duh.

Wren Violet said...

It was Association House (our corner stone was set by Jane!), but close enough. ;)

Well done! xo