Anchorwoman: For the latest live from Biloxi, Christine Adelhardt:
Christine Adelhardt: The President drove by here in his convoy 2 minutes ago. What happened today in Biloxi however is truly unbelievable. Rescue teams suddenly appeared, recovery vehicles were suddenly here, one hadn't seen them here over the course of the entire day. And this in an area where it really wasn't necessary to clean up much because pretty much nobody lives around here. The people are further away into the city. The President travels with a press pool, the pool has thanks to this very nice pictures which should say the President was there and help is on the way. The extent of the natural disaster shocked me. But the extent of the staging [Inszenierung] today shocks me at least as much. With that, back to Hamburg.
Sadlyno.com has a link to the video of the broadcast, in case any German speaking readers want to verify this translation. (I'm looking at you, Mrs. Advice Pig)
After I saw this, I was so angry and sad that this is the leader of our country, playing us for fools, letting people die.
Shortly after I read this, I got into my car to drive to lunch. The Sex Pistols came on the FM, screaming "NO FUTURE" during "God Save the Queen." I started wondering why we don't have this kind of angry protest music any more. We've got all this emo, belly button examining stuff. You'd think with a name like Deathcab for Cutie would right about something other than sadboy love. Don't make me buy an amp and write the angry songs myself.
This weekend, I managed to catch U2's performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at the original Live Aid. The words never rang so true with me before: "I can't believe the news today. I can't close my eyes and make it go away. How long? How long must we sing this song?" It's been 20+ years and we still must sing this song.
If there are such things, I hope the ghosts of New Orleans roam the White House halls tonight.
1 comment:
The translation is pretty accurate. The only change I would make is as follows:
"And this in an area where it really wasn't as urgent to clean up because nobody is even here anymore. The people have all been evacuated further away into the city."
--Mrs. Advice Pig
Post a Comment