I'm sure there's some optimist out there that says, "There's looters? That must mean there are survivors!" It sounds like everyone's worst nightmare. Possibly, thousands of dead. Streets are flooded. Police can't stop the looters.
People are stranded. There are an estimated 20,000 people waiting to be bussed from the Superdome to the Astrodome in Houston. How many school buses are you gonna need to do that? 400 buses? Where are they gonna get that much gas at this point? You can't just declare an evacuation, you figure out the logistics.
Why didn't these people flee before the storm? Many of these people were among the poorest in New Orleans. They had no cars. What were they supposed to do, take the city bus out of town?
President Bush cut his vacation short two days. (Considering it was 6 weeks long, that like you or I cutting our vacation short by 4 hours.) He flew 30000 feet over the devestated area in Air Force One. If there's a better symbol of detachment, I don't know what it is.
I'm rambling. I'm mad, sad and bewildered. My heart goes out to those in Louisana and Mississippi. I hope you all find your way.
9.01.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment