I have a window in my office. Well, not really, I have a cube that has a window for a back wall. I see people running on this path just above the parking lot every day. It's under a series of high tension powerlines and runs on an old train path.
Today, the weather was finally bearable enough for me to explore this path during lunch. I've really been lax about my marathon training lately, as I've only been doing the long runs on Sunday and not getting in my midweek runs like I should.
It's sort of industrial and wilderness at the same time. I heard hundreds of crickets. I ran by an electrical tower every 200 feet. The best juxtaposition was a small oak sapling growing in the middle of the abandoned railroad track.
I'll have to bring a camera next time. There are some truly beautiful sights, including a marshy pond with purple flowers, black butterflies with yellow edged wings and a trampoline with black safety netting in the middle of a field.
The best part is the rail bridge that I had to slowly step across, from railroad tie to railroad tie, noticing flashes of water and grass 20 feet below. That'll get you thinking about your steps.
8.16.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment