8.15.2005

Jokers to the left of me

After my 17 mile training run yesterday, we made a family trip out to Whole Foods to get a few things. As we left the store to go to the parking garage, it started to really pour down rain. I told Jen and Jasper to wait for me out front of the store, while I went and got the car.

We'd parked on the fourth floor and my ankles were bothering me from the long run, so I decided to take the elevator for once. Big mistake. As I pushed the button for the fourth floor, a woman made a dash to join me in the elevator and just made it in time. The doors closed and we sat there. The elevator didn't move. We pushed "door open". Nothing. We pushed the button for ground floor. Nothing. We pushed the alarm button. Nothing. We were officially stuck.

I hit the call button and talked to some operator who asked if he could help us. I told him that we were stuck in the elevator at the parking garage at Church Park. He said that he could barely hear us and asked if we needed help. Now, I don't know about you, but when someone calls me from the phone line inside an elevator, I assume that they need some sort of assistance. It's not like I was calling him to see how his mom was doing. After repeating myself twice, he assured us help was on the way.

I realize that Jen and Jasper are still waiting for me out front. I take out my cell phone to call Jen, and I hear her phone ring in the backpack that I am carrying. D'oh. I have to call information and get the number for Whole Foods and tell the person who answers the phone there to go to the front of the store and find the blonde lady with the baby and tell her that her husband is stuck in the elevator.

Fifteen minutes of sauna time in the elevator later, I finally emerge on the second floor and hike the rest of the way to the car. Fun fun fun.

No comments: