No new poems from me until the New Year. We're back from Florida. It's always crazy when the whole family gets together. I'll get it together and write a post for the boy's blog about Christmas in the tropics.
Couple of quick hits:
R.I.P. James Brown. Embarrassingly, I think my first exposure to the Godfather of Soul was in Rocky IV, when Apollo fought Drago and J.B. was cranking out "Livin' in America" It was awesome. I had no idea that James was ripping himself off. C'mon, check out "Night Train" Hey, it worked with Apollo's patriotic theme, right? I'll blame that on Stallone.
We flew JetBlue back from Florida and the J-Dawg was good enough to nap most of the flight away. Every seat has satellite television for your viewing pleasure. I caught a bit of an recent U2 concert. It was weird to see that Larry Mullen Jr. actually appears to be aging! The Edge is still in denial over his baldness (as he has been since 1992). Let the skull cap thing go, Edgy-baby. Bono's voice has really dropped over the years and he's got the moves down to a science. He simply stylizes everything like kabuki theater or something. Anyhow as New Year's gift, I give you an old version of "New Year's Day" as I remember it in my head: Check out the Edge jumping between piano and guitar, and best of all the Bono mullet.
12.29.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah, that's the U2 I remember and love. It was before they were so sure of themselves. Such great raw energy. And damn, Edge really worked hard for that song.
Thanks for sharing.
X!ne
Post a Comment