10.18.2006

Goodbye, Roxy



Roxy Lee Riley
1985-2006
Died Tragically Rescuing His Family From The Remains Of A Destroyed Sinking Battleship

You spent 21 years with Jen and four with me. It's remarkable that I even got to know you. On the bags for senior cat food, it says 7 and up. You were like three of those senior cats put together. I know you thought of me as the new guy, the guy who took your spot on the bed. But you loved me anyway. Thanks for that.

You were my first real pet. I'll never forget you moving in with me a week ahead of Jen moving to Boston. I was so nervous that I'd screw you up and Jen would never forgive me. So you got overfed and spoiled that week. We really bonded then, watched TV and played with strips of newspaper on the floor. It felt like freshman year in the dorms. Somehow, you even cured me of my allergy to cats that week.

I will remember you best in that apartment on Beacon Street, napping in the sun patches by the dining table and climbing into the bathtub and meowing for us to turn on the water for you to drink. I know that you're out there somewhere in a bathtub in the sun. I miss you. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though I only met Roxy once, I remember him going into the bathtub & meowing for the water to go on.

I'm sorry for your loss.