5.12.2006

Play

I just picked up our copy of Playful Parenting the other day, and it hit me how important play is in all of our lives. The book points out that playing is a baby's job. This is how he learns about the world. Not only is play teaching the baby things, but it should also be fun, so he's encouraged to keep learning and discovering.

I was in the gym at work the other day, messing around with the medicine ball. One of the other guys here at work asked me why I used the ball instead of the weight machines. I've always hated lifting weights. I told him that the ball makes me feel like I'm playing. After all, pushing iron is working out. I go to the gym to get a break from work.

I also realized why I love going to kung fu so much. It's my opportunity to go play with my friends. We're learning how to push our bodies, but we're having fun too.

Animals learn by playing too. I found this website dedicated to exercising like were were playing: Go Animal. It's a great idea. You'll exercise more if you are having fun. It's positive reinforcement. I think I'm gonna go with an all play exercise regiment from here on out. It's a good thing running feels like play too.

No comments: