My Uncle George passed away suddenly sometime last week. We're not sure exactly when. He had been working as an engineering contractor for Bechtel in Saudi Arabia. He was supposed to fly home to Boston for a few weeks of vacation, but never arrived on Friday. They found him in his apartment in Jubail early on Sunday morning.
I've been thinking about him a lot since we got the news. He was my mom's baby brother. He lived with us in Boston while he was getting his engineering degree at Northeastern. He'd take me along to the library when he had to study, and he taught me how to read.
I remember he had one of the early LED digital calculators. It must have cost a fortune back then, and he let a three year old play with it. He trusted me and he unleashed the tech geek in me.
He was the kindest and most thoughtful person I have ever known. He was always the ringleader of family outings to Chinatown. I'd bring friends with me sporadically. Not only would he remember them, but he'd remember what their favorite dish was and he'd make sure that we got it for them.
When I left Florida in 1999 with no job, or no place to stay, he let me stay with him as long as I needed while I started the next phase of my career and my life.
I can't even imagine who I would be without him. I've been flipping through iPhoto looking for a picture to put up with this post, but I can't find any that do justice to the brightness of his spirit and how much love he brought to everyone he met. I hope these words give you some idea of what he meant to me.
9.10.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment