-We've learned some strange things about the neighborhood and the people in it. People will tell you all kinds of stories when your dogs are playing in the baseball field. Apparently, there are a group of guys who play jai alai on the tennis courts hitting wall after midnight. They pull their cars up to the court and leave their headlights on to illuminate the court. They also bring their dinner and eat it while sitting on the hoods of their cars. It sounds wildly implausible to me, but it sounds so cool.
-Listen, lady, our dog is not named after Patrick Swayze's character in Point Break. Yes, it's the same spelling, but that's coincidence. Besides, if we'd wanted to name him after a Swayze character, we'd have picked Daulton. "Johnny Utah" would be a great name for a dog, just not this dog, ok?
5 comments:
I truly love watching Jai-Alai. Saw it first in a fronton in Mexico City, later in Newport and Miami. Fantastically athletic game, fastest of any ball-sport that I know of. Folks around these parts may only know it as a sort of human dog track sport, but it requires tremendous hand-eye coordination and reflexes.
May I ask which ballfield you speak of? I might cruise down there some late evening and take a look.
My parents' dog's name is Bodhi too, short for Bodhisattva (no one really calls him that) but people always think he is named after Bodey Miller!
Suldog, it's Carter Playground on Columbus Ave in Roxbury. It's about 2 blocks west of Mass Ave. Let me know if you see them.
I grew up in Florida about 15 minutes from the Jai Alai fronton in Ft. Pierce.
If there is anyone playing a sport there at night, I'll bet it's something else entirely and just being misidentified by my neighbors as jai alai.
Sarah,
People think he's named after the skiier too.
Worse, they think his name is "Cody" or that I have a weird accent and his name is "Buddy" or strangest of all "Rowdy".
Hey, jai-alai fans.
How about checking into my jai-alai message board and telling us more about this place. I'm trying to document amateur jai-alai venues.
Hope to hear from you.
Post a Comment