7.04.2006

Independence Day

How do Americans celebrate our Americaness? By blowing up explosives and charring hunks of meat over fire. That explains a lot, doesn't it?

The thing I appreciate most about my home country is the right to critize it, so here's my rant of the day. I am disgusted by the anti-immigration factions in this country. If it weren't for your ancestors moving to this country for a better life, you wouldn't be here. Don't tell me they didn't. I doubt that you're Native American, sparky. If so, feel free to be bitter about immigration. You've every right.

My great-grandfathers came here to build the railroads. My grandfather ran a laundry. My father ran a restaurant. I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day. What's Jasper going to do for a living? I have no idea, but like his father, it'll be better than what his father did. This is the dream. Not just an American dream, but it is a dream that immigration makes possible.

No comments: