6.07.2005

The Current Exercise Plan

I've been doing pretty well at my workouts lately. I've brought back the crazy 100 push-ups a day policy again. A few weeks ago, we were doing push-ups in my kung fu class and I felt positively weak. So instead of complaining about my recent lack of upper body strength, I brought back the simplest and most effective plan that I know.

You just have to 100 push-up at some point during your waking day. I don't care if you do 4 an hour for the entire day. There are no excuses, as there is no equipment needed except for an open spot of floor.

The way I do it is two sets of 25 in the morning, with a toothbrush break, and two sets of 25 at night with a toothbrush break. When I'm feeling lazy, I get my teeth really really clean.

I've also been running quite a bit with guests. Clarissa and Yu-Ming are my regular running partners on Thursday evenings (Jen can't really join us these days, as the Chickpea isn't big on the running at this point.) A few weeks ago, my brother was in town and joined me on a three mile long 6AM Tuesday morning fog festival and this past weekend, my old pal Will was up from Houston and we did a 5K fun run to raise money for Zoo New England.

It's usually a 6AM solo run on Tuesdays, a group run on Thursdays and a long run by myself on Sunday. This will be the schedule that I use to train for the Marine Corps Marathon in October. In addition to this is kung fu on Monday and Wednesday nights as well as Saturday afternoon.

I know you're thinking to yourself, "Is he going to keep this up when the Chickpea arrives?" I'm sure as hell gonna try. I'll probably cut back on the kung fu and switch one of the sessions to tai chi with the Chickpea strapped on to me. And the running will be a bit of tricky one until he's 6 months old and ready for the stroller. But you know what? I owe it to him to make sure that he has a healthy father. For the longest time, I was afraid of becoming a dad who could only watch his kids playing in the yard, instead of running around out there with them.

No comments: